April 26, 2012

It's Never Too Late To Start....

I have found myself saying:"I've been meaning to do that" a lot lately. Each week passes by and "that" never gets done.  The never ending day to day tasks consume my weeks, days, hours and minutes. So, what is the problem? Why can't I seem to have time for anything? Why is dinner never planned out? Still? Carson is almost 10 months and I'm still "failing" at being the perfect Mom and wife. 

How to fix this.... 

PLANNING!!!!!!!

So, starting May 1st I plan to regularly make meal plans using this sheet, start using a budget for us to keep on track with expenses and see where all the money goes. I was using Google Calendar for a while to plan everything from working out to getting together with friends. It was working, so I need to start that again. 

I have also decided to start cloth diapering Carson. It seems kind of crazy at first. Why would I want to add more work to my days if I can barely get everything done now? There is no logical answer to that question. I originally wanted to cloth diaper and was going to do the trial after Carson's first month, once again, I just never got around to doing it. Almost 10 months later I'm starting. 

This seems to be a common theme according to many Mom's in a cloth diapering Q & A group I'm a member of. It really never is too late. It is better to start helping the environment and your baby whenever you can. I'm hoping it will help with potty training. Carson will feel the wetness much more with cloth. We will see soon enough how that goes!


I borrowed a few cloth diapers from a good friend and used them for 2 days. It honestly isn't hard to use cloth diapers, at least the pocket ones. No folding. Just snaps. Easy. I was expecting it to be a lot harder. I knew it had to be easy for me and Austin or neither of us would ever get on board the cloth diaper train.

It's weird how people react when you say you're cloth diapering. Someone said:"Ewwww!" What's so gross? Everything is contained in a wet bag and the poo just goes down the toilet. Simple. It's not hard. If I can learn this and do this, anyone can. 


So today marks the first day of changing over to the cloth diapering world. I still have to perfect my laundry routine and figure out what is going to work best for all of us, but I'm positive and hopeful that what I'm doing is right not only for the environment, but for Carson as well.

Here's what I bought to start out and how much I spent:
1 Wetbag from PlanetWise $34
Country Save Detergent $12.99

6 used Fuzzibunz $10 each
3 Rumparooz $23.50 each
1 Bumgenius elemental cloth diaper +organic cotton all in one (no insert, closest to disposable!) $27.50
1 Bumgenius 4.0 Snap pocket $23.45
1 Swaddlebee Simplex $21.45







My loot
Here is a link to a helpful site that I read when I was contemplating cloth diapering. Is Cloth Diapering Worth it?
A couple more links to the brands I purchased:
Rumparooz
Fuzzibunz
Swaddlebees 
BumGenius

I hope my first day goes well! I only have a few more days until May 1st when I need to get my life in order!! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment