April 11, 2012

The Importance of Mommy Friends

This week I've already had visits with two of my friends who have babies only a week or two younger than Carson. One friend also has an almost 3 year old which gives me a chance to see what it will be like whenever Austin and I have a second baby one day. 

This year off is flying by. I haven't been the best at getting together with other Mom's as much as I know I should have. I haven't gone to play groups in fear of messing up Carson's naps and I lost interest in Mom and Baby yoga when I had no one else to go with and wasn't really connecting with other Mom's.  It has been much more challenging than I imagined finding other Mom's to connect with face to face. There are many online Mom groups, but I just think we all need a little more face to face HUMAN contact too.

If it wasn't for these couple Mom friends I do get together with, everyone else I know is working. Once Carson arrived, I kind of lost touch with anyone who doesn't have kids. It's the truth, as awful as it is. It's harder to have the same social life as I did before because my kid naps 2 times a day and goes to bed at 7pm. Life is certainly more restricted.  I can't just get up and go the way I used to and maybe it's hard for people to understand or relate to. Maybe they do get it, but don't feel like being around parents who talk about their kid all the time. I know I didn't get it until I had my own baby. You're life is really consumed by your little one 24/7.

I'm lucky to have the great friends I do have. They always understand that I can't plan too far in advance and sometimes can't even shower before getting together. It's totally acceptable to eat baby food for lunch and sit on the floor in our head to toe black outfits. Mom friends just get it. I can be myself. I never feel judged. I always have a person who can relate to my struggles and joys. 



To all my Mom friends (you know who you are) thank you for welcoming me into your homes and being there for me when I've needed it. Thanks for motivating me to workout and for reminding me not to be too hard on myself. Thanks for listening to all my blabbing. Thanks for everything. Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment